Artist Statement

Conventionally the space age began on October 4th, 1957, when the first artificial satellite of the Earth, Sputnik 1, was launched by the Soviet Union. Ever since then man has been intrigued by the thought of space as the final frontier. As a digital artist, my goal has been to create scenes that bring the beauty of the so distant galaxies closer to earth. Using photoshop and other digital media I create scenes of space comprising of planets, stars, and nebulas. I myself, have always been intrigued by the thought of far off planets and galaxies and hope you feel the same after viewing my blog.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Photoshop Space Scene

To create the starry background, I started with a solid black canvas and added monochromatic noise. I adjusted the brightness/contrast repeatedly to provide a nice dense yet realistic star field. I then added the effect of the cloudy nebulas. To do this I created a new layer with a black background and added the "difference clouds" filter. After playing around with that, I set the new cloud layer to the blending mode of "screen" and set the opacity to around 30%. I then merged the layers two layers and added a new colourized hue layer. After adjusting the grey tones to new monochromatic tones, I merged this layer to the bottom one. Using the colour dodge tool with a small soft brush I clicked repeatedly, making the brush slightly larger each time until the areas appeared glowing. Next came the planets. On two new layers I created two black circles. Selecting each planet and using a round soft brush I clicked and dragged along the outside to fill in the lit side. I then merged the layers down and used the colour dodge tool to enhance the glowing effect on the edge of the planets. Using a "lens flare" filter, I added a flare point to the lit part of the planet giving the image nice depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment