Artist Statement

Conventionally the space age began on October 4th, 1957, when the first artificial satellite of the Earth, Sputnik 1, was launched by the Soviet Union. Ever since then man has been intrigued by the thought of space as the final frontier. As a digital artist, my goal has been to create scenes that bring the beauty of the so distant galaxies closer to earth. Using photoshop and other digital media I create scenes of space comprising of planets, stars, and nebulas. I myself, have always been intrigued by the thought of far off planets and galaxies and hope you feel the same after viewing my blog.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Photoshop Snow Planet

For the background of this piece I chose to use a landscape picture of a snowy scene. First, I added in the large planet. To do this I pasted a stock picture of a planet i found on the internet into my scene. I then set this layer to "overlay." Next I duplicated the planet layer and this layer from "overlay" to "normal" with an opacity of 13%. I also added a "gaussian blur" to this layer to give it a more natural look. After applying layer masks to both layers, I used the "gradient tool" to create a fading effect on the planet. I then partially erased the parts of the planet that are covered by clouds from the background layer. Using the "blur tool" I then blurred around the edge of the planet to give a smooth transition into the sky and make it seem as if to have an atmosphere. After using the dodge tool to add contrast to the lit side of the planet, I added in the smaller moon using the same method. With so much empty space in the top left of my picture I decided to add some comets. To do this, I started with a small dot using the "brush tool" on a new layer. I then applied applied a stylized filter of "wind" to this layer and repeated this three times. After applying a "gaussian blur" to the comets, I applied a distort filter of "shear"to curve the light streams. Finally, after adding some contrast and saturation it was complete.

Resources:
Background









Planet












Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment