Artist Statement

Conventionally the space age began on October 4th, 1957, when the first artificial satellite of the Earth, Sputnik 1, was launched by the Soviet Union. Ever since then man has been intrigued by the thought of space as the final frontier. As a digital artist, my goal has been to create scenes that bring the beauty of the so distant galaxies closer to earth. Using photoshop and other digital media I create scenes of space comprising of planets, stars, and nebulas. I myself, have always been intrigued by the thought of far off planets and galaxies and hope you feel the same after viewing my blog.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Photoshop Lake Scene

For the background of my collage I found a photo of a cloudless sky of an emerald colour. Using the crop tool I cut out the bottom half and then doubled the size of my canvas. I duplicated the layer and reflected it symmetrically. I then adjusted the "colour balance" of the sky layer to make it purple and blue. After merging the layers down, I increased the contrast. To improve the quality of the sky and blur the reflection off the water, I duplicated a layer off the background and applied a "gaussian blur" to it. I then lowered the opacity of this layer to 50%. Using the erasertool, I erased the layer in places which covered the trees in the top half, to return them to clearness. On a new layer I inserted a picture of a planet and placed it just above the trees. I changed this layer to the style of "screen"so that the background of the planet became transparent. To clarify the part of the planet on which light falls, I used the "dodge tool." Then, with a usual brush, changing the size from 1 up to 3 pixels, I drew stars. I made a duplicate of the layer, set it to an opacity of 50%, and applied a "gaussian blur" to create an effect of luminescence among the stars and planet. I then inserted a picture of clouds on a new layer and set it to fit over the bottom half of the canvas. I then changed the layer style to "overlay" and adjusted the opacity. I used the same actions for the top half only using a less cloudy texture to create an interesting effect. After changing the fill of the two cloud layers to 50%, I adjusted the brightness/contrast. To create a reflection of the planet in the water I duplicated its layer and reflected in vertically. Using the smudge and dodge tool and altering the opacity I created a realistic looking reflection.

Resources:
Background










Sky1









Sky2










Planet

No comments:

Post a Comment